King’s Own Calgary Regiment
The King’s Own Calgary Regiment (KOCR) has a long history and was not always known as the “King’s Own”.
The KOCR has origins tracing back to the establishment of the 103rd Regiment (Calgary Rifles) which was founded on April 1, 1910. They were an active militia during the First World War and raised a number of battalions, including the 50th.
The roots of the KOCR’s saw victory at Vimy Ridge when 41-year-old Private (Pte.) John G. Pattison received the Victoria Cross as a member of 50th Battalion. On April 10th, 1917, the second day of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, he hopped from shell hole to shell hole until he was close enough to throw hand grenades into an enemy stronghold. Pattison was able to subdue the five German soldiers that survived his barrage, and as a result, the Canadians were able to take the position. Unfortunately, he was killed in action by shellfire almost two months after the battle at Vimy.
Following the First World War, the KOCR went through numerous role and name changes. During the Second World War they were known as the 14th Army Tank Regiment and landed in France as part of the Dieppe Raid, also known as Operation Jubilee (August 19, 1942). Their armoured machines were the first Canadian tanks to engage the enemy in combat.
In 1946, King George VI gave them the title “King’s Own”, making them The King’s Own Calgary Regiment (14th Armoured Regiment). In 1958 they changed a final time to The King’s Own Calgary Regiment (Royal Canadian Armoured Corps).
Today the King’s Own Calgary Regiment is a reserve armoured unit that operates out of the historic Mewata Armouries in Calgary, Alberta.
To learn more about the KOCR,
To learn more about Pattison,
View our short (6m:19) documentary about him, visit his page on the Road to Vimy, take a look at his virtual memorial at the Canadian Virtual War Memorial, or read his Victoria Cross citation at the Directorate of History and Heritage (DHH).
Main photo: The King’s Own Calgary Regiment Camp Flag (Credit: DHH).